Burn ban to continue

By KEN MILAM

LeFlore County commissioners voted Monday to keep the outdoor burn ban in place for at least another week.

The wildfire risk has been extremely high for several days due to dry and very windy conditions. Emergency Management Director Dennis Yochum said the rain Monday and expected Tuesday wouldn’t be enough to alleviate the risks, but said more rain is possible next weekend, which could be enough to ease the ban.

A resolution to use American Rescue Plan Act funds to replace the county’s 911 radios and gateways was not acted on. Commission Chairman Craig Hall said he wanted to study the issue more and see some estimates before committing to replacing part or all of the system.

Yochum said the radios are obsolete and cannot be replaced, and if one goes down, it would take the whole system down.

A bid for a new truck for the Wister Fire Department was tabled for a second time. Department officials and the sole bidder had negotiated an agreement after the bids were open, slightly modifying the truck. Commissioners said they could not approve the bid legally if it had been altered.

 No action was taken on a bid to purchase a piece of county-owned property on Bokoshe Mountain because the potential buyer withdrew the bid.

No action was taken on a discussion of county legal publications because John Clark of the Spiro Graphic, who had requested the item, was not present.

Misti Upton and Olive were named requisitioning officers and Jansen Hambright, Angel Akins and Sarah Rivera as receiving officers to the Fair Board accounts.


Get more on the Ledger daily newsletter.

%d bloggers like this: